Monday, April 7, 2008

Gray Ghost of Minter Field (written 2003)


I went to the Minter Field air show today. It was War Birds in
Action. Very nice. Met some old W.W.II Pilots and
bought 3 B26 pins. One guy had nice B26 shirts for sale I got his e-
mail : www.flightlinedesign.com . Like always
there was great die cast models of every war bird - except the
B26. The Birds themselves were awesome; B25, B17,
P51, Corsairs, BT trainers and much more. It was $375.00 to ride the
B17- I'm to poor for that!
One interesting story is this. I was in line to buy my B26
pins, one 3-d side view pewter is awesome, and
the lady in front of me was buying all the B26 stuff she could find.
I told her my dad was a W.W.II B26 pilot and she
told me an interesting story. She was abandoned as a baby and wound
up adopted, she only recently found this out,
maybe a year ago. Since then she was on a quest to find her
biological parents. Well she found them last week and
her father was a B26 pilot, she and her husband were ecstatic, her
father was a war hereo and an importany part part
of world history, I just smiled like the straw suck'n hick I am and
said - yup-me too!In the afternoon, at home after
the air show, I heard a roar above, we ran out and looked to see the
shinny metal B17 flying low above our
home---Wow.
Tonight the candle light dances with the shadows on
the wall and some footsteps grow fainter as
they echo down the hall. Tonight as the sun becomes a stranger and
saints and sinners share a brew -I'll put my
head on my pillow - smile- and say my pop was B26er -"yup-me too!"

No comments: